Learning styles. Do you know what kind of learner you are? Anyone who has gone through a teacher prep program has not only learned all about these but how to use this knowledge to their advantage in the classroom.



So, back to the original question. Do you know what kind of learner you are? I’m a visual learner. Or so I thought.



Learning styles, as it turns out, are really just a fallacy. Visual learners. Auditory learners. Kinesthetic learners. We may have just been seduced by a popular theory that seemed helpful (i.e.—easy) when determining how we wanted to learn about something specific.



Taking into consideration how I learn (or so I thought) I tried to apply that notion to my teaching. Visuals were invaluable for students to refer back to. Verbally emphasize the important parts of the directions or lesson as you teach. Repeat it. Have students say it back to you. Movement. Kiddos need to move. Get them up and moving as much as my lesson allows. I didn’t do this based solely on the learning styles of my students. I did that because, I felt that was what good teaching was.



Listening to The Psych Files, episode 90, Dr. Daniel Willingham said: “It’s worth thinking about not matching the child’s supposed learning style to how they are supposed to learn, but rather think about the content and what is it about this content that I really want students to understand and what’s the best way to convey that.” The Psych Files, episode 90; The Learning Styles Myth: An Interview with Daniel Willingham; March 29, 2009




Wait. What? Didn’t I just say something like this? Let me shift my mindset a bit. Instead of ‘needing’ to see something, perhaps the situation or the content of what you are experiencing is best suited to be seen. That the best way to learn is actually determined not by your specific preference but by what is being learned.



Oh, learning styles, you sly little minx. You got me. For years you got me. But, no worries. I’m not upset.



I’m going to continue doing what I’ve always done: delivering lessons in ways that best suits my students.



Happy teaching!









Comments